Prediction of Academic Achievement Evaluation in University of Medical Sciences, Based on the Students' Course Experience

AUTHORS

Effat Shahrabadi 1 , Mohsen Rezaeian 2 , * , Ali-Akbar Haghdoost 3

1 MSC Medical Education, School of Medical Sciences Education, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran, Iran

2 Professor, PhD of Epidemiology, Occupational Environment Research Center, School of Medicine, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran, Iran

3 Professor of Epidemiology, Research Center for Modeling in Health, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences,, Iran

How to Cite: Shahrabadi E , Rezaeian M, Haghdoost A. Prediction of Academic Achievement Evaluation in University of Medical Sciences, Based on the Students' Course Experience , Strides Dev Med Educ. 2013 ; 10(4):e60643.

ARTICLE INFORMATION

Strides in Development of Medical Education: 10 (4); e60643
Published Online: December 31, 2013
Article Type: Research Article
Received: August 21, 2017
Accepted: October 25, 2013

Crossmark

CHEKING

READ FULL TEXT
Abstract

Background & Objective: Evaluation of academic progress is done by comparing the results of measuring the performance of learners with educational goals and learning objectives. The aim of this study was to survey the predictions of academic achievement evaluation of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Iran, based on the students' course experience.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was performed in 2012-2013. Medicine, dentistry, nursing and paramedical students were selected based on their filed of study and gender by stratified random sampling from the Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences (n = 370). Data gathering tool was a Course Experience Questionnaire (CEQ). The questionnaire fields included good teaching, clear and standards goals, appropriate assessment, workload, and general skills; one question about satisfaction of course was used to measure their course experience. Students’ grade point average (GPA) in previous semesters was used as an index for academic achievement.
Results: 31.8% of participants were boys and the rest (68.2%) were girls. Statically significant difference existed between GPA of boys and girls (P = 0.001). Nursing-midwifery students had the highest score (15.23 ± 3.30) in five course experience variables and medical students the lowest (14.06 ± 4.35) (P = 0.001). CEQ and GPA had significant and positive correlation (P = 0.004, r = 0.164). Predictor factors of GPA were clear and standard goals and appropriate assessment.
Conclusion: This study represents the importance of appropriate assessment (particular emphasis on understanding until know something from memory) and of clear and standards goals at the beginning of the semester by teachers to promote academic achievement and performance of students. Thus, teachers should can promote and provide student's progress with teaching appropriate intervention.
 

Keywords

Evaluation Academic achievement Course experience Predictor Students

© 2013, Medical Education Development Center. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.

Fulltext

 

References

  • 1.

    Reference is available in pdf

  • COMMENTS

    LEAVE A COMMENT HERE: